Advanced Password Generator
By means of the Advanced Password Generator, you can generate a random password and define exactly what it should consist of. In addition, you can save these settings as a template and use them for any other password which you later create with this password generator.
You can use the Advanced Password Generator when you add or modify a password entry. In the dialog window for adding or modifying an entry, click on the small orange wheel symbol. There opens a dialog window in which you then switch to the tab Advanced.
First of all, select a Template from the list:
- Custom password settings: Allows you to create your own passwords template. You can save it under a name you choose by clicking the Save button at the right. The next time you create a password, this template will also show in the drop-down list for templates. To delete a template you no longer need, select this template in the list and click the Delete button on the right (cross symbol).
- Default settings for new passwords: Applies the software's default template for generating passwords.
- Deduce settings from the current password: If you are currently modifying (and not adding) an existing password, the program will automatically choose this option which takes over the existing entry's settings for this new password.
Here you can define the characters the password should consist of:
- Use only following characters: Enter some characters here from which your password should be created. For instance, if you enter "abcdef" into this field, the generated password will contain only these six characters.
- Use the following character groups with relative frequencies: Check all the characters groups which the password should contain, for example Lower case, Numbers and Special characters. Using the slider next to each group you can set a percentage which indicates how frequently the selected character group will be used for the password. At Custom you can enter some characters like umlauts which you would also like to be part of your password.
NOTE: Because UTF-8 is too extensive (64.000 characters), only the first 256 ASCII characters are supported.
- Use at least one character of each group selected above: Select this option to ensure that at least one character from every group is used for the password. For example: If you select upper case letters, numbers and special characters as groups and check this option, the created password will at least contain one upper case letter, one number and one special character, even if it is only five characters long.
- Exclude similar-looking characters: If you check this option, the password will not contain similar-looking characters like for example zero and the letter "O".
- Excclude consecutive identical characters: Select this option to avoid that the same character is used twice in a row in the password, for example ZZ.
- Password length: Define the number of characters of which the password will consist. You can select a number between five and 256.
- At Tries to reach maximum password quality you can define how many passwords the password generator will try to get the best possible result with the settings given. A number between 300 and 500 is normally enough to get a satisfyingly secure password.
In this section, the password will be created and the quality rated.
- Click the Generate button to create a password with the current settings.
- The Password quality is shown graphically on the one hand, but on the other hand there is also an approximate value showing you how long a hacker would need to crack your password. Thus, you will be able to better compare the passwords regarding their security.
- With the buttons next to the password you can copy it to clipboard and see what it looks like on plain text.
After having found a password, click OK. The password will then automatically be added to the and .
Return to the Password
Depot homepage (leave this help)