Features and Highlights
Password Depot is a powerful and very user-friendly password manager which helps to organize all of your passwords – but also, for instance, information from your credit cards, software licenses, RDP connections and much more.
The software provides security for your data – in three respects: It safely stores your data encrypted, guarantees secure data usage and helps you to create secure passwords.
However, Password Depot does not only guarantee security: It also stands for convenient usability, a high degree of customizability, marked flexibility in terms of interaction with other devices and, last but not least, extreme functional versatility.
Safe Password Storage
- Best possible encryption. In Password Depot, your information is encrypted not merely once, but in fact twice, thanks to the algorithm AES 256 Bit. In the US, this algorithm is approved for state documents of highest security clearance!
- Two-factor authentication. You can secure your databases twice. To start with, you select a master password that has to be entered whenever one opens the file. Additionally, you can choose to protect your data by means of a key file that must be uploaded to open the file.
- Protection against brute-force attacks. Every time the master password is entered incorrectly, the program is locked for three seconds. This renders attacks that rely on the sheer testing of possible passwords – so called “brute-force attacks” – virtually impossible.
- Backup copies. Password Depot generates backup copies of your databases. The backups may be stored optionally locally, on FTP servers on the Internet (also via SFTP) or on external hard drives. You can define the time interval between the backup copies’ creation individually.
Secure Data Usage
- Protection from keylogging. All password fields within the program are internally protected against different types of interception of keystrokes (Key Logging). This prevents your sensible data entries from being spied on.
- Traceless Memory. Whilst dealing with your passwords, Password Depot does not leave any traces in your PC's working memory. Therefore, even a hacker sitting directly at your computer and searching through its memory dumps cannot find any passwords.
- Clipboard protection. Password Depot protects your clipboard data in multiple ways: it automatically detects any active clipboard viewers and masks its changes within the clipboard; furthermore, after performing auto-complete, all sensitive data is automatically and immediately cleared from the clipboard.
- Virtual keyboard. The ultimate protection against keylogging. With this tool, you can enter your master password or other confidential information without even touching the physical keyboard. Password Depot does not simulate keystrokes, but instead uses an internal cache, so that input cannot be intercepted, neither software- nor hardware-based.
- Fake virtual mouse cursors. When typing, using the program’s virtual keyboard, you can also set the program to show multiple fake mouse cursors instead of your usual single cursor. This makes it even more impossible to discern your keyboard activities.
- Uncrackable passwords. The integrated Password Generator creates virtually uncrackable passwords for you. Thus in future, you will not have to use passwords such as “sweetheart” anymore, a password that may be cracked within minutes, but e.g. "g\/:1bmVuz/z7ewß5T$x_sb}@<i". Even the latest PCs can take millennia to crack this password!
- Verified password quality. Let Password Depot check your passwords' quality and security! Intelligent algorithms will examine your passwords and warn you against ‘weak’ passwords, which you can subsequently replace with the help of the Password Generator.
- Password policies. You can define basic security requirements that must be met by all passwords which are added or modified. For instance, you can specify the passwords’ minimum length and the range of characters contained therein.
- Security warnings. Password Depot contains a list of warnings which always keep an eye on your passwords’ security. For instance, the program warns you in case you use the unsafe FTP protocol and in this case advices you to use SFTP instead.
- Protection against dictionary attacks. An important warning featured in Password Depot is the notification in case you are using unsafe passwords. These are passwords which are frequently used, therefore appear in hackers’ dictionaries and are easily crackable.
- Warning against password expiry. You can set Password Depot to warn you before your passwords expire, for instance before the expiry date of your credit card. This ensures that your password data always remains up-to-date and valid.
- Cards, identities, licenses, documents and much more. Password Depot protects and manages not only your passwords, but also data of credit cards, EC cards, software licenses, identities, RDP, Putty and Teamviewer connections, documents or encrypted files. Each entry type offers a separate template.
- File attachments. You may add file attachments containing e.g. additional information to your password entries. These attachments can be opened directly from within Password Depot and may additionally be saved on data storage media.
- Transfer passwords. You can import both password entries from other password managers into Password Depot as well as export entries from Password Depot. To do so, the software offers you special wizards that facilitate importing and exporting password information.
- Clean-up databases. This function discovers password entries that you have not used for a long time or that even have already expired. Afterwards, the found entries can be directly deleted. This guarantees that your databases always remain up-to-date.
- Search for password entries. By means of this function, you can search any character string within your database – no matter if within the passwords themselves or within e.g. their descriptions and URLs. To refine your results, you can use logical operators and relations.
- Encrypt external files. Password Depot allows you to encrypt external files and to then directly save them as individual entries within the software. In this way, Password Depot enables you to make confidential documents inaccessible to third parties.
- Self-extracting files. When encrypting external data by means of Password Depot, you can additionally generate encrypted self-extracting files. This method enables other people who do not have Password Depot to also decrypt the core files.
- Delete external files. With Password Depot you can delete external files, regardless of their format. In doing so, the software does not leave any traces on your hard disk, which means that the files cannot be restored by any application.
- User-friendly interface. Password Depot’s user interface is similar to that of Windows Explorer. This allows you to effectively navigate through your password lists and to quickly find any password you happen to be searching for.
- Auto-completion. If you wish, Password Depot automatically fills in your password data into websites opened within the common browsers. This function runs via an internal setting on the one hand, and via so-called Browser Add-ons on the other hand.
- Automatic recognition. You can set the program to automatically recognize which password information corresponds to the website you have called up and to then pre-select this password entry for you – as well as, if desired, to finally automatically fill this information into the website.
- Top bar. The program's format can be reduced to a narrow bar whose position may be determined individually: whether freely movable or stuck to the screen edge (Application Desktop Toolbar). In this way, the software is always at your disposal without disturbing you.
- Direct opening of websites. URLs belonging to password entries saved in Password Depot may be opened directly from within the program. This saves you the hassle of having to manually copy website addresses and then paste them into your browser.
- Usage via mouse click. Accessing your password information may be done super easily via simple clicks with your mouse cursor. By means of a single mouse click, you can copy data to the clipboard and can even drag it directly into the target field on the website.
- Hotkeys. Password Depot features keyboard shortcuts for regular commands in Windows (“Hotkeys”). By means of these hotkeys, you can easily turn Password Depot’s format into a top bar or send it into the foreground when minimized into the system tray.
- Unicode support. Password Depot supports Unicode, the international standard defining a digital code for every character. This allows you to use international characters such as “ä” or “ç” within your password information.
- Recycle bin. Password Depot features a recycle bin that stores deleted password data and enables them to be restored. In this way, data you may have accidentally deleted, for instance, is not lost irrevocably.
- Configurable program options. Thanks to many program options, Password Depot may be individually configured down to the smallest detail – not only in view of its external layout, but also regarding its internal functions such as the use of browsers or networks.
- Custom browsers. You can determine yourself which browsers you would like to use within the program. This way, you are not bound to common browsers such as Firefox or Internet Explorer but can also use Opera, for example.
- Individual user modes. As a new user, you can work with only a few functions in the Beginner Mode, whereas as an expert, you can use all functions in the Expert Mode or can outline your own demands in the Custom Mode.
- Personal favorites. The list of favorites contains the passwords you use most frequently. As you will most likely want to have this regularly used data always at hand, the list of favorites may be accessed directly via the top bar.
- Custom fields. You can extend the existing data input fields by any number of self-defined fields. This is possible both for a single password entry (“Custom Field”) as well as for the entire database (“Global Field”).
- Password icons. You can save icons for your password entries, enabling you to easily find and identify them. These icons are even available if you open your password file on a different PC as they are saved directly within the password file.
- Individual safety warnings. You yourself can determine the warnings you would like Password Depot to show and which ones not to display. Additionally, you may individually set whether the program should warn you in case your passwords expire and, if yes, how many days prior to the expiry date.
- Password statistics. Clear statistics show at a glance how often you have used which password. In this way, you might also realize which entries you do not use at all and can therefore delete them in order to keep your database up-to-date.
- Enterprise Server. Password Depot features a separate server module, enabling several users to access the same passwords simultaneously. Accessing password files may run either via a local network or via the Internet.
- Apps for Smartphones. Use your databases on all your devices at the same time: powerful, native apps are available for Windows, Android, iOS, macOS and even as a web interface!
- USB Stick. Do you prefer conventional? No problem! You can save your databases together with Password Depot on a USB stick. This way you always have your files and software with you and can use them whenever you want.
- Cloud devices. Password Depot supports virtually all file hosting services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox or e.g. HiDrive. Using the WebDav protocol you can add practically any other service. So you can optionally store your data on the service of your choice.
- Databases on the Web. You can optionally deposit your encrypted password files on the Internet. This way, you can always access your passwords, no matter where you are! To access them, you can use the protocols HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SFTP or WebDav, as required.
High-performance Enterprise Server
- Centralized shared team databases. Use the databases together with the authorized team members.
- Active Directory. Synchronize your users and groups optionally with your Active Directory.
- REST Api. Access the Enterprise Server from your own applications.
- Departments and groups. Divide your users in clearly arranged departments and groups.
- Detailed rights management. Assign permissions for databases, database folders or individual entries.
- Data record history. Log all the changes of a single data record.
- Notification system. Get notifications about events, such as for example the access to an entry.
- Encrypted connection (256-bit AES). The data exchange between the Enterprise Server and the clients is always encrypted with 256-bit AES.
- Certificates and SSL/TLS connection. Install certificates and use an SSL/TLS connection (optionally).
- Mobile devices. Access the server with native apps for iOS and Android in addition to the PC and Mac editions.
- And much more!